04 May Investment Director
Over the next 5 years, Transformational Business Network (TBN) will scale its global operations and achieve even greater impact by enabling enterprise to tackle poverty. TBN is seeking an Investment Director with the skills, values and passion to make a difference.
The “missing middle” of finance (US$50 – 500k) for small and growing businesses (SGBs) in emerging markets can be addressed by impact investment. TBN acts as a broker for its portfolio of purpose-driven entrepreneurs to help them secure investment. Its ambition is to grow its network of investors (angels, funds, banks) and mobilise investment programmes, including potentially its own fund, to become the lead early-stage financier of transformational businesses in East Africa initially, with the potential for this impact investment model to be further replicated in other developing markets.
The Investment Director will be responsible for establishing and developing this global line of business:
- Investment Products: Design, develop and deliver new financial products to support the growth of TBN’s early stage entrepreneurs.
- Partnerships and Resource Mobilisation: Identify and build relationships with angel investors, investment funds and other finance providers to secure financing, including both local and international sources of impact investment.
- Due diligence: Improve and oversee the delivery of financing and due diligence process of potential investees. This also encompasses the measurement and reporting of financial and impact performance metrics.
- Compliance and Risk: Ensure that UK and international regulations are complied with and identify and manage portfolio risks including, where relevant, exit strategies.
- Impact measurement: Development of a sophisticated evidence base to demonstrate impact for the clients in terms of relevant metrics including employment growth and increased sales and profitability, not only to demonstrate this to existing supporters and investors, but also to expand fund/capital raising in new market segments.
- Strategic business advice: The Investment Director will support the CEO in identifying and developing new opportunities for TBN which enable it to scale its impact and achieve financial sustainability.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Entrepreneurial leader with a track-record in developing new initiatives and partnerships.
- Robust investment expertise, ideally in both debt and equity, with a related professional banking or accounting qualification and/or demonstrable experience and track record.
- Strong analysis skills.
- Strong analytical, conceptualization and financial modelling skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking and networking skills.
- Ability to mix strategic, high level thinking with practical detail oriented tasks as needed.
- Either already FCA authorised, or capable of becoming so in due course, including being able to pass the Fit and Proper test for Approved Persons.
- Fully aligned with TBN’s vision, mission and values.
Preferred Knowledge, Technical Skills and Experience:
- Significant strategic level experience of working with SME financing in a banking or investment fund context.
- Experience of working in, or closely with, impact investors and experience of investment fundraising / grant acquisition.
- Operational, management and financial skills sufficient to create detailed plans, raise funding and execute the implementation of new products and operations.
- A networker who can match the interests of the clients and gap in the market with the interests of donors and impact investors, to develop products that will meet the needs of both.
- Experience working in emerging and frontier markets.
- The candidate will lead this new line of business, reporting to the CEO, and will join a small but growing team of professionals who are passionate about making a difference in the lives of the poor, with access to TBN’s significant international network.
- The candidate will have provide oversight and support to the investment team based in East Africa and be required to travel at least once per quarter.
A competitive salary will be offered commensurate to the candidate’s experience.
United Kingdom. Exact location can be flexible but expectation is that they would be available for regular meetings in London. Applicant must have the right to live and work in UK.
Application Process by Fri 8th June:
Please email a CV and cover letter expressing your interest and fit for the position to:
Lucy.email@example.com by Fri 8th June. Include ‘Investment Director Application’ in email title.